Thursday, February 5, 2009

Christ-like Love, Through the eyes of a 6-year old

Wow! What a week. Being sick for the last 6 days certainly hasn't been much fun. Tonight I am keenly aware of how blessed I really am. I am healthy...my kids are all healthy and happy...I have a wonderful wife who teaches me and supports me in all that I do. A kidney stone is no walk in the park, but overall I feel very blessed. My Bishop has come by twice, his counselors, as well the EQ Presidency. And many friends!

Last week, in the midst of my suffering, I found this sticky note attached to my dresser:


This is a note left by my 6-year old daughter, Emilie, last week while I was sick. Now, over last week or so my kids have only seen me either moaning/cringing in pain, or in a Percoset-induced haze on the couch! Needless to say, I have not been a ton of fun to be around. No bedtime stories, no sitting on dad's lap, really no interaction at all. So when I saw Emilie's note, it was hard because I had been so miserable I couldn't interact with my family in a normal way. I get very grumpy when I get sick. I look back with guilt, wondering...even as I was so sick, could I have done anything better? But Emilie's heart emulated that of the Savior...she loved me "even when I was sick". Even when I am not at my best, my 6-year old daughter sees through the "muck" and loves me for who I am.

One of the most cherished lessons that I have ever experienced!

2 comments:

  1. Now that is saying something..what would say more is if Michelle seconded the notion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girls are sweet. Some of that is natural & some comes directly from their mama.

    ReplyDelete